Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

4/9/11 - The Trip Home

We didn't do any coupon shopping today.  We ate lunch at Chick-fil-A and got a snack at Starbucks on the way home from our little trip, but we didn't have any coupons to use.  It took quite a bit longer to get back home than it did to get there.  We actually stopped and ate lunch at the restaurant on the way back (we just picked up breakfast and ate it in the car on the way to).

On the way down during the week I was driving with the truckers.  They know how to drive.  I set the cruise control at 75 mph and only had to change lanes a couple of times.  On the way home, it was Saturday and I had to deal with the Boaters and Campers and LookeyLoos.  I couldn't set the cruise control, in fact, I think I was everywhere from 40 mph to 65 mph because of getting stuck behind someone and not being able to get around them.  After putting up with this for a while I got tired and had to stop.  This is where Starbucks came in.  I needed CAFFEINE!!!!!!!!!!  The only problem was a storm was brewing so we decided to go check out Wal-Mart a couple of stores down.  Well, no sooner did we get in the store than an announcement was made that there was a Code Black and everyone had to go to the back of the store.  We soon found out that a Code Black was a tornado warning.  About the time we got to the back of the store the rain started comming down and then hail and wind.  This lasted for about 20 minutes.  Fortunately we didn't get a tornado and the hail didn't damage Mom's van, but this little stop cost us an hour driving time.

Time to get back on the road.  The caffeine did help, and a few miles later the traffic on the interstate thinned out a little bit so driving was easier.  (I guess I should say that I don't drive a lot.  This is the longest trip I have even driven.  I think the longest before this was about an hour and a half.)  One more stop, about 100 miles from home for a potty break.  Too much caffeine.

Well, we thought only one more stop.  About 30 miles down the road traffic was stopped.  We assume that there was a wreck.  An fire truck was parked across the road so we couldn't see exactly what had happened, but we sat in the middle of the road for about a half hour. While we were sitting in the middle of the road waiting for traffic to start moving, my son calls me on my cell phone.  He wants to know where we are and how much longer before we get home.  I tell him I have no idea because I don't know how long I will be sitting in the middle of the road.  He needed a key to get back in the house.  He locked himself out and couldn't get back in.  We did happen to remember that my sister has a key to Mom's house so he was able to get ahold of her and she opened the door for him.  So, anyway, once the fire truck that was blocking the road moved and WE started moving again all you could see was some dirt on the road and ruts in the grass in the median between the lanes.  We aren't sure what happened and probably don't want to know.

Ok, that was about an hour from home and our last stop, NOT!!  We get about 15 miles from Mom's house and Car-Leigh has to make a potty break again.  She can't wait.  I'm beginning to wonder if we will ever get home.  We're supposed to go to Mom's house and Chris is going to pick me up and then I get to go home, NOT again.  We actually end up going to my house first because Kristen forgot her glasses (which she only wears sometimes and should wear all the time) and her shoes for church on Sunday.  She already had everything else with her.  So I actually get to go home first.  Once Kristen gets her stuff Mom goes ahead and drives home from my house.

This should be the end of the story but guess what, it's not.  After Kristen leaves Chris and I decide to go to McDonald's and split a Salad and a Happy Meal (I have a Free Salad when you buy a Happy Meal coupon).  Right before we get ready to leave Chris walks past the laundry room and guess what he found?  Kristen's glasses case laying in the middle of the floor.  So guess what, we have to go to Mom's before we eat.  My only thought is "Is this day ever going to end".  Yes, it finally does.  After taking Kristen her glasses we go to McDonald's to eat then go to Chick-fil-a and get a Banana Pudding Milkshake and then back home.  I'm really tired after everything so I go soak in the nice hot bath tub and then go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment